Remove BIND, Sendmail, Perl and etc from base?

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mb.ca
Thu Jul 24 12:31:23 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:45:33 +0200
"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode at xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> should the packaging system be completely contained in the base
> system?

Well - if it's not in the base system, then it's ... um ... a package :)
How is that circularity resolved?  Some sort of bootstrapping?
Or is it just a simple tarball?  That seems inelegant, somehow.
I think, on balance, I'd prefer for it to be in the base system.

> pure shell scripts do the job very well too.

I don't have much against 'make' (I have more objections with the *way*
it's used, than the tool itself.)  But I could see shell scripts doing
the job just as well, assuming they're generated by some tool which
knows the dependencies and does the topological sort.  (That tool could
be a perl/whatever script, run by the package author, and the end user
installing the package wouldn't need perl/whatever installed.)

But also, considering that many, many ports come with their own (usually
GNU) makefile anyway, the 'make' approach might not be worth throwing
out.

-Chris