just curious

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jul 21 12:02:57 PDT 2003

:
:>    Not to mention the space abstraction... passing a descriptor allows you
:>    to abstract I/O operations of any size.  You could handle ten someones
:>    each trying to write a 2GB buffer to your userland VFS.  And people are
:>    always forgetting atomicy.  There is no expectation of atomicy with
:>    memory mappings but there is one for I/O operations like read() or write().
:
:queuing == atomic ordering of ops?

    It would depend on how the device driver or VFS system decides to handle
    blocking situations in particular messages.  It would certainly make a
    VFS's job easier because it would start out with things inherently
    ordered and it could build a dependancy graph on the fly for active
    operations and selectively de-order non-dependant ops.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>