SMP kernel on UP machines?

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Mon Dec 29 14:57:24 PST 2003

* Emiel Kollof (coolvibe at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> * David Rhodus (drhodus at xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Emiel Kollof wrote:
> > >Does that work? I have a CPU that's supposed to do HTT. Yet when I try
> > >to boot an SMP kernel, it just fails at boot complaining it can't find a
> > >local APIC, yet my machine _does_ have one.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Give this a try, this cleans up so we no longer need the HTT option
> > compiled into the kernel and should give you HTT support on your
> > UP machine.
>
> I'll give it a spin.

No joy on my machine. Still not seeing the local apic on bootup. It
panics just after loading the kernel and even before the initial credits
are shown (The Dragonfly Project blabla).

I'll try to enable both the APIC and the ICU, and fallback to the
latter if it fails, like CURRENT does.

Incidently, if I am able to pull this off, it will be my first public kernel
contibution to any OS (well, not counting kld-work).

Wish me luck! :)

Cheers,
Emiel