SMP kernel on UP machines?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Dec 29 09:59:58 PST 2003

:Hi,
:
:Does that work? I have a CPU that's supposed to do HTT. Yet when I try
:to boot an SMP kernel, it just fails at boot complaining it can't find a
:local APIC, yet my machine _does_ have one.
:
:It might be an idea to allow SMP kernels to boot on UP anyway for
:distribution purposes. In CURRENT SMP is default and works fine on UP
:machines. It doesn't slow down the machines much either.
:
:Cheers,
:Emiel
:--

    FreeBSD-5.x compiles in both the APIC and the ICU interrupt/exception
    code and falls back to the ICU if it can't find an APIC.

    DragonFly already uses the per-cpu globaldata access methods on both UP
    and SMP so it would not be difficult for us to do this too, eventually,
    but I do not consider it a critical feature.

    If you would like to have a go at doing this, or working towards this
    goal incrementally, I'm fine with bringing the work into the tree.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>