propolice for GCC?

Ryan Dooley dooleyr at missouri.edu
Wed Dec 10 11:23:14 PST 2003

Hello,

> It is a modification of gcc not stack protection built into the kernel.
> Thats just showing the symbol inside the kernel binary, thus showing
> that the kernel was compiled with gcc that had the propolice modification.
> I can't think over any benefit from compiling the kernel with propolice,
> only
> from compiling userland items and libraries with it. I think it would be ok
> to build world with it by default but not on by default for everything else.

Why not have propolice build the kernel as well?  If it catches a stack
overflow propolice should shut it down with the handler.  This should
protect against LKM stack exploits (unless I'm really missing something
which would not be unusual :-)

> Since a new gcc is in the pipeline for the next few months has anyone
> looked at added these patches to  gcc-3.3 or 3.4  ?

Yes, there are 3.3 patches available as well.

Cheers,
Ryan