propolice for GCC?

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Wed Dec 10 07:43:31 PST 2003

Eiri

Wouldn't it be possible to add a sysctl that shows if propolice is active
or not?

It is a modification of gcc not stack protection built into the kernel.
Thats just showing the symbol inside the kernel binary, thus showing
that the kernel was compiled with gcc that had the propolice modification.
I can't think over any benefit from compiling the kernel with propolice,
only
from compiling userland items and libraries with it. I think it would be ok
to build world with it by default but not on by default for everything else.

Since a new gcc is in the pipeline for the next few months has anyone looked
at added these patches to  gcc-3.3 or 3.4  ?
-DR