libcaps thread testing code committed

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Mon Dec 8 09:09:48 PST 2003

On Dec 8, 2003, at 10:33 AM, Sander Vesik wrote:

Craig Dooley <cd5697 at xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I dont think this will work. Anything before the pIII did not have
SSE,
so PPro, PII, old Xeons are now useless?  Also, even the pIII only had
SSE, not SSE2, so there is no way to do double precision floating
point
with just SSE.  Any Athlon before they went to XP I believe does not
have SSE, and I think there might also be no SSE2 in AMD Chips except
Athlon64 and maybe Barton.  I dont think this many CPU families can be
dropped.  They will have to be supported though.
Worse, K8 is the first AMD processor that has SSE2, similarily several
of the minority x86 processors don't have it. So this is basicly a bad
idea.
Yeah... sometimes you actually do want double precision floating point
to work :).

That's the problem with Altivec... even on the G5 it doesn't do double
precision.  Luckilly
PowerPC has a pretty good floating point unit anyway.

-Craig

--
	Sander
+++ Out of cheese error +++