FreeBSD-5's USB subsystem

Kent Ibbetson bsd at kibbet.com
Tue Dec 30 06:07:38 PST 2003

Paul Robinson probed the keyboard and on Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:54:45PM +0000 produced:
> Emiel Kollof wrote:
>
> >What's wrong with usbd?
> >

> Ummmm..... it never worked properly? It only recognised my USB mouse and
> that's it? It keeled over and died whenever I tried to plug in my
> camera? I'm sure others can come up with other examples of why it sucked...
>
> Trust me, kernel support for USB, and the relatively decent stuff in
> there now is far and away much, much better...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't usbd just, as it says in the man page,
'supervise USB attach/detach'.  It dosen't have any device code (though, it
will load some kernel modules if required), it pretty much just starts and stops
applications.

I totally agree that the USB code in 4.x is nasty, and the new stuff will be
better :)

> --
> Paul Robinson

Regards,