configuration files

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 12 13:36:02 PST 2003

:I'm not sure that the implication was that RCNG should be scrapped, only
:that it should [eventually] do what runit and daemontools do, namely,
:service monitoring.
:
:-Chris

    Service monitoring is an interesting problem.  I wrote a program long
    ago which is available at:

	http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/runmaint.c

    It was originally written to maintain sendmail and named but with a
    little cleanup and additional work to add a periodic testing function
    (e.g. to run a test script once every so often), a better 'stop'
    interface, and a unix-domain socket for communicating requests, we
    could integrate this into RCNG to provide automatic service
    monitoring, restart, stop, and reporting features for all non-inetd
    system-started daemons.

    It would be very easy to integrate with the RCNG varsym variables that
    are already being set.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>