configuration files

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 11 11:37:56 PST 2003

:At one point in time we had this discussion in great depth,
:the thing that came out of it was the possibility of adding
:the ability for the "modules" in /etc/rc.d to turn themselves
:on and off.
:
:so the configuration mechanism could just say form example
:./motd on
:
:Rob

    We already have start/stop/restart/rcvar support though quite a few
    of the RCNG files only support 'start'.

    You know, it occurs to me that we could augment RCNG to record subsystem
    status in the kernel environment and write a little shell script for
    /sbin which allows you to issue start/stop/restart/rcvar commands for
    particular RCNG files (rather then have to type 'cd /etc/rc.d; sh ./blah
    stop').

    e.g. something like this:

    rcng start <blah>		Start entity
    rcng stop <blah>		Stop entity
    rcng restart <blah>		Restart entity
    rcng rcvar <blah>		List rcvars associated with entity
    rcng list			List all entities and their current run status

    So for example:

    rcng sendmail restart

    In fact, I think this would be extremely useful, and so easy that I think
    I can work it up in an hour or two with only minor changes to the kernel
    to support kenv -w var=blah to record the current subsystem status.