LibC status and others...

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Dec 10 15:42:31 PST 2003

:I was just curious what the status of libc and NSS like functions such
:as getpwnam_r and other thread safe POSIX goodies is in DragonFly at
:the moment.
:
:KDE needs some of these functions and has to be patched to build
:otherwise..
:
:That is ... it used to.  I must admit since I got my Mac I don't use
:any Linux desktop software much anymore.
:
:Dave

    We aren't going to be using NSS in that way... we will be using IPC
    services for such lookups.  But if you need a getpwnam_r() it should
    be possible to adapt the existing getpwnam() (and other functions) in
    /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/getpwent.c.

    What I would do is rename, e.g., getpwnam() to getpwnam_r(), add the
    required passwd pointer, and use the pointer instead of the static
    _pw_passwd.  Then write a new getpwnam() which simply aclls
    getpwnam_r() using &_pw_passwd for the passwd pointer.

    Would you like to have a go at making this change?  If you know any C
    at all it should be a breeze.  If not, maybe one of the other developers
    would like to have a go at it.  If not that, then I can do it (it would
    take me less then 30 minutes to do).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>