TrustedBSD...

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Dec 9 08:50:34 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 02:25:28PM +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> Additionally it seems possible to implement a good portion of the
> TrustedBSD stuff along with the symlink-/filesystem work!? Maybe it's
> good to put it in there to get a more "native" solution for DF rather
> then modifying ufs with yet another (suboptimal) patchset.
>
> Or did I get the idea of the new stuff wrong?

Modification of the on disk format of UFS was pretty much require for
fast labeling of ondisk content (lableing of UFS1 file systems, is
possiable, but VERY expensive because the labels are stored in a file
like quotas), but that's only a small part of the work involved in
making a trusted OS.  UFS2 made many more changes then were required for
TrustedBSD because a need to break binary compatability was seen as a
good time to fix all the 32-bit crap in the ondisk format so we could
have >>1TB file systems.

-- Brooks

pgp00002.pgp