TrustedBSD...

Ryan Dooley dooleyr at missouri.edu
Tue Dec 9 06:53:04 PST 2003

Hello again,

> I'm not sure if that would be useful for the DragonFly project, I'll let
> Matt decide on that.  But everything pretty fundamental, such as the
> TrustedBSD project, detracts us from reaching the goal DragonFly is
> striving towards, namely: easy and fast clustering, scalability, and
> stability.
>
> Of course, Matt should correct me if I totally misinterpreted something,
> but this should be one of those 'wannahaves' to be put on the backburner
> for a while.

That's most fair.  I would not want to compromised performance and
scalability with the overhead of security up-front.  I'll hold that
thought until after a 1.0 release.

> Also, note that we're not trying to compete with OpenBSD here.  The
> projects' aims lie in way different directions.

Compete was the wrong intention/word.  The only competition is with the
goals of DragonFly and not other distributions.  I rather like the notion
of being "hype-free" and not finding ourselves in the habit of doing
something just because somebody else does it.

Cheers,
Ryan