LibC status and others...

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 12 15:44:00 PST 2003

:> I was just curious what the status of libc and NSS like functions such
:> as getpwnam_r and other thread safe POSIX goodies is in DragonFly at
:> the moment.
:
:speeking of this, matt, how far is your ipc mechanism.
:
:as i reworked getpwent.c quite a bit, i found, that writing this
:out-of-process, with a persistent buffer, is way easier.
:
:besides being easier, access control is very much easier.
:even /etc/passwd could be 0400 (or 0440, owned by root with group of the
:daemon).
:
:so, what is missing?
:i started implementing pwd.h inside of a daemon.
:one thing missing is the process/thread <--> daemon bridge.
:
:btw: i dont think we would need fullblown <pwd.h> support in single user
:mode.
:a simple EAGAIN for the case, where the service is not available should be
:enough.
:
:~ibotty

    That's what the IPC is for.  It's coming along.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>