bash me, if you like

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Wed Dec 10 06:48:43 PST 2003

Richard Coleman wrote:
evs wrote:

I don't want to start a jihad here but, imho DragonFly should switch
to bash as the default shell.
I know csh ( and consequently its descendents tcsh & zsh ) is
Berkeley's baby but, bash can do everything csh can do and its better
for shell programming. Most new unix users arrive from the Linux camp
these days so they already know bash and they will be more likely to
try DragonFly if they don't have ot learn a new shell. Even Apple has
switched to bash for OS X.
Bash has won, and it's only a matter of time before csh goes the way
of the dodo. Since Dragonfly is taking the lead in so many other
areas, we might as well bite the bullet and do this too, as soon as
possible.

In the beginning, zsh was actually based on ksh with features added to
make csh users more comfortable.  These days, it's a kitchen sink of
features and can emulate most of the other common shells.  Although it's
been awhile, I was one of the primary maintainers for zsh for several
years.

But I have to laugh at your comment at saying "bash has won".  That's
like saying "vi has beaten emacs or vice versa".  Just because most
Linux systems use bash as the default doesn't mean the others are going
away any time soon.  Shells and editors are such a personal choice.

Besides, it's easy to change the shell you are using.  And these days,
it's pretty harmless to change the shell for root (contrary to old
traditional advice).  As long as people can change it to what they want,
the default is irrelevant.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx