bash me, if you like

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 13:23:13 PST 2003

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:57:17 +0000, evs wrote:

> I don't want to start a jihad here but, imho DragonFly should switch
> to bash as the default shell.
>
> I know csh ( and consequently its descendents tcsh & zsh ) is
> Berkeley's baby but, bash can do everything csh can do and its better
> for shell programming. Most new unix users arrive from the Linux camp
> these days so they already know bash and they will be more likely to
> try DragonFly if they don't have ot learn a new shell. Even Apple has
> switched to bash for OS X.
>
> Bash has won, and it's only a matter of time before csh goes the way
> of the dodo. Since Dragonfly is taking the lead in so many other
> areas, we might as well bite the bullet and do this too, as soon as
> possible.

Zsh can do what Bash do, so Zsh win.. :-P Anyway, serious.... Bash is in
GPL license and Zsh's zsh license is kind of identical to the BSD license
if I read the license correct. Therefore, I think Zsh is the best choice
for the default shell in any of BSD system. :-)

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.