libcaps thread testing code committed

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Dec 8 10:25:37 PST 2003

:Craig Dooley <cd5697 at xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> I dont think this will work. Anything before the pIII did not have SSE,
:> so PPro, PII, old Xeons are now useless?  Also, even the pIII only had
:> SSE, not SSE2, so there is no way to do double precision floating point
:> with just SSE.  Any Athlon before they went to XP I believe does not
:> have SSE, and I think there might also be no SSE2 in AMD Chips except
:> Athlon64 and maybe Barton.  I dont think this many CPU families can be
:> dropped.  They will have to be supported though.
:
:Worse, K8 is the first AMD processor that has SSE2, similarily several
:of the minority x86 processors don't have it. So this is basicly a bad
:idea.
:
:	Sander
:
:+++ Out of cheese error +++
:

    This is why the LWKT code has a modular context save/restore.  We can
    pick and choose exactly what needs to be saved and restored on a
    thread-by-thread basis.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>