Make Buildworld Fails

Michael Powell testuser at workstation.zip
Mon Dec 1 06:26:38 PST 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Hmm.  This is a new one to me.  I am assuming that you did
>     a cvs checkout of the sources into /usr/src before attempting to
>     run the buildworld.   The Mini ISO that you downloaded is from
>     November 2nd, it's possible that it snapshotted the kernel at a bad
>     time.

        I was essentially following the directions on this page:
http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/archives/000009.html

        Upon rereading the Installation page it seems I omitted the cvs
checkout step. I did a normal cvsup -g -L2 /path/to/supfile and then
proceeded to make buildworld. It appears that the cvs checkout step in
between these two steps is necessary; please correct me if wrong. I will
give it a go tonight when I get home from work.

>     Probably the easiest way to bootstrap into DragonFly, especially if
>     you are on a modem, is to start with a FreeBSD-4.x CD (I'm hoping you
>     have one) and do a FreeBSD install.  Then get cvsup and cvsup down
>     the DragonFly CVS tree.  After that you should be able to checkout the
>     DragonFly src and do a buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel,
>     installworld sequence.

        I pursued this course of action in the hopes of generating a "pure"
DragonflyBSD install as opposed to building it on top of FreeBSD.

>     The mini-iso issue needs to be revisited soon.  I am a bit backlogged
>     at the moment but I do believe that it is important and I will spend
>     some time experimenting with the 'live mini CD' concept I brought up a
>     month or two ago.
>
> -Matt
> Matthew Dillon
> <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        At any rate, thank you very much for your answer - I appreciate it
immensely!

 - Michael Powell
[snip]