new sysinstall

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 30 15:46:26 PDT 2003

0$269$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <slrnbkvm7b.oig.weingart at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20030829184829.2fedd129.cpressey at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <200308300659.h7U6xOM0059135 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <3f50871c$0$269$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <3f50ab95$0$269$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <200308302143.h7ULhrtG065363 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think tcl/tk is a good choice for a couple reasons.

1. It is small (compared to perl/python anyways).
2. It is stable and doesn't change as much as perl/python.
3. tk would be good method for installer gui, etc.
4. It is easy to embed and extend.

All the extension to tcl would be in the package system rather
than the base.

I'm generally a fan of tcl/tk, so take my opinion with a grain
of salt.

With that said, I think it is more important that SOME scripting
language (perl/python/icon/tcl/ruby/whatever) be put in the base system
and extensively used, rather than which one is picked.  There are
many languages that would be suitable.  I just happen to think that
tcl is a good choice.  I just hope that Dragonfly can avoid the mishmash
of scripts that are used in FreeBSD.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx