new sysinstall

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 24 13:12:59 PDT 2003

Robert Garrett wrote:
to replay an install, you could just replay the xml data, sent to the
packages back. fully customized install scripts would be very easy to
create. Packages could be built for ports that integrate fully with
the cm utility. so for once and for all managing a huge number of
opensource boxes wouldn't be a complete nightmare.
I like the idea of using xml data to replay the build.  You still need
an infrastructure like Jumpstart (Sun) or Kickstart (Redhat) in which to
do the initial build (from cd or remote install machine) as well as
handle the "replay" of the data.  But using xml to structure the
post-install configuration could simplify the creation of the
post-install scripts.

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD ports system is too unstructured and gets in
the way of doing this right.  Too many options for building ports are
buried in the make options (i.e. make WITH_GTK2=yes, etc).  You often
have to dig in the Makefile to find them since they are never described
in the pkg-descr file (pet peeve of mine).  Although I primarily use BSD
systems, I'm very envious of the package systems of most Linux distibutions.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx