Usernames > 16 characters

Hiten Pandya hmp at nxad.com
Thu Aug 14 03:17:21 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:37:28PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >    There must be some sort of limit on Solaris and Linux.  Does anyone
> >    know what that limit is?  If we are going to change our limit we should
> >    make it the same as one of the two.
>
> I'm not sure if there is a limit or possibly it might be the same as max path
> name length.

	I think their max filename length limit is 255, and their
	maximum pathname limit is 4096.  From what I can recall from my
	JFS port, it uses PATH_/NAME_MAX directly without any
	garnishing.  Although I think 4096 is kind of big, but it sort
	of makes sense because of the different types of distributed
	file systems that Linux currently supports.  I do not have the
	Linux code around, but these should be in <linux/limits.h>.

	I don't know what the affects of having such big sizes would
	have on the VFS cache, if we are to use some sort of a zone API
	for it. (just a small tangent...

--
Hiten M. Pandya
hmp at xxxxxxxxxxx, hmp at xxxxxxxx