sys/ tree re-structuring proposal

Hiten Pandya <hmp@nxad.com> hiten at client-98.catpa.lex
Tue Aug 5 03:08:02 PDT 2003

:    net is a special case because there are so blasted many NIC drivers.
:    I would have a tendancy to create a bus hierarchy under net/ as well as
:    under dev/, so:
:
:    net {
:	pci
:	isa
:	usb
:	firewire
:	etc...
:    }
:    dev {	/* non-NIC device drivers */
:	pci
:	isa
:	usb
:	firewire
:	etc...
:    }
:
:    Another reason for keeping net/ separated out is that a lot of the NIC
:    drivers could potentially share a mini-library's worth of code, like
:    the miibus stuff for example, which could go in net/common or something
:    like that.

	Yes, a lot of code in NIC code is duplicated.  Something like
	net/lib or net/common is the way to go for such things. Some
	research and looking around needs to be done about it.

	Matt, it would be really appreciated if you can do this
	repo-meistering as soon as possible, so that I can get on with
	other stuff.

	Btw, if this mail looks screwed, blame my mail editor. 8-) 8-)

	Cheers.

		-Hiten
		Hiten Pandya (hmp at xxxxxxxx)
		WWW: http://hmp.serverninjas.com/