sys/ tree re-structuring proposal

Munish Chopra mchopra at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Aug 3 21:08:24 PDT 2003

On 2003-08-04 04:52 +0100, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Hi Gang. (Matt... 8-) 8-)
>
> I would like to propose re-structuring the modules/ tree as a start.
> Currently, we just dump various directories under modules/ without any
> clear separation based on the type of source modules, etc.
>
> I.e., it doesn't make sense to rebuild the whole modules tree when you
> only want to build, say, for arguments sake, network related modules.
> If we can restructure the modules/ sub-tree to use the following
> structure, for clarity:
>
> sys/modules/
> 	|- net/      - Network related eg. ethernet drivers, netgraph...
> 	|- security/ - Things like IPFilter, IPFW and CRYPTO go here...
> 	|- dev/      - Device Tree (sub-divided by buses)
> 	|   |
> 	|   |- pci/	  PCI and related driver build files
> 	|   |- isa/	  ISA and related build files
> 	|   |- usb/	  USB and related build files
> 	|   |- firewire/  IEEE-1394 and related build files
> 	|   |- etc...
> 	|- vfs/      - File systems.
> 	|- exec/     - Emulation and related framework build files
> 	|- contrib/  - Contributed modules, eg. gnufp, ext2fs, etc.
> 	|- misc/     - Uncategorized driver build files

This was discussed for FreeBSD too, though I'm not sure if it ever hit
the lists. Some of the problems that popped up were USB NICs (for
instance). Do they belong under net or dev/usb?

There were quite a few examples like that, and perhaps other pitfalls -
I wasn't able to stick around until the discussion had settled.

--
Munish Chopra