slab allocator process report.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Aug 28 17:32:48 PDT 2003

:A question about the slab allocator.  Did you write INTO the the slab
:allocator the undocumented items from malloc?  Or did you use a type of
:wrapper or extra function call for these "gotchas" so that the slab
:allocator is consistent and those programs that need the other items get
:access/use of the slab allocator through the wrapper or whatever?
:I'm curious as to not only what choice was made, BUT more importantly
:why that choice was made.
:
:Thank You & Still learning
:
:Timothy

    The undocumented items have been built (integrated) into the slab
    allocator, primarily because the biggest undocumented item is the
    power-of-2 alignment for power-of-2 sized blocks, and that is not
    something a wrapper could easily or efficiently implement.  Also, we
    are only talking about a few lines of code.  Eyesores, yes, but still
    only a few lines of code.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>