Preliminary restructuring layout (was Re: sys/ tree re-structuring proposal)

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Sun Aug 10 11:28:11 PDT 2003

-On [20030808 11:22], Hiten Pandya (hmp at xxxxxxxx) wrote:
>	Ok, I apologise if I sounded a little too harsh on the "waste of
>	time" bit; but what I actually mean, is that we should split up
>	developer's handbook into two main parts:

No offense taken.

>		1) Programming on DragonFly BSD (very less kernel stuff)
>		this guide would be the stuff which the developer's
>		handbook currently has minus the intricate kernel parts.
>
>		2) Internals of DragonFly BSD (i.e., how system calls
>		work, as Bill said, Interrupt handling, message passing
>		and that sort of thing -- i.e. the intricate stuff.

Agreed.

>	http://puggy.symonds.net/~abhi/files/mm/
>
>	That is the one I actually mean; I thought it was linux-mm.org,
>	but naturally, I was wrong. 8-)

The content is definately well done, the format, however, is quite
horrendous, but that's just me. :)

[snip, splitting docs into two parts]

>	Yes, that is what I actually mean.

Good, then we agree.

>	I have already asked Matt is I can create a Documentation/
>	folder in the root of the CVS tree; just like there is one in
>	the Linux kernel source tree.

I'd prefer lower case, to keep consistent.

>	Once I/You/Matt create it, we can just dump things in text
>	format into that folder, and then from that we can create the
>	documentation.

Matt, how do you like that idea of a programmer to documentation writer?

>> You do your thing, I'll do mine, as I like to put it.
>
>	I am sorry I don't understand this bit (in this context).

Quite simple: you code, I write.  (Meant in a more general way though,
not specifically aimed at you, guess I should have made myself clearer.)

[FreeBSD Handbook]

>	Yep, maybe splitting it into a User/Admin guide, but not really
>	sure on this one.

Possibly.  I'll take a peek at that.

>	Once again, I apologise if you got the wrong meaning on ``waste
>	of time'', I really didn't mean it in a bad way, but yes, it did
>	sound a little harsh, sorry.

No harm done, just be careful which words you choose though. ;)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B