sys/ tree re-structuring proposal

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 02:30:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     It might be easiest for me to just MV things around in the physical
>     cvs tree and just have everyone resync (can cvsup and cvs deal with whole
>     directories being moved around within the repository?).

As far as CVS is concerned, the new directory locations will work
correctly. The old directory locations will still be referenced in
working copies, which will make them complain bitterly.

Generally the "right" workaround for this is a repo-copy: cp, not mv,
the directories to their new home and manage the deletion of the old
stuff via CVS.

Other major surgery on a cvs repo is always a pain. It usually needs to
be coordinated: some combination of supplying fixup scripts to
developers and getting people to salvage and reapply their local diffs.
Oh, and troubleshooting. Lots and lots of troubleshooting. Of course, if
you can just tell people to check out a new copy of the tree, you'll
probably be fine - early in a project is the time to do this.

There's no convincing English-language argument that this sentence is true.