Register keyword removal

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Aug 12 09:09:44 PDT 2003

At 3:29 AM -0700 8/12/03, Hiten Pandya wrote:
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
 > It should probably be noted that the FreeBSD project is also
 "inclined" to remove 'register' keywords.  We just haven't made
 it a specific project to remove them all in one fell swoop like
 dfly just did.  So, while this drive to remove all 'register'
 keywords means some extra differences between dfly and freebsd
 at the moment, there is every reason to believe FreeBSD will
 also be deleting all of them.  It's just that it is happening
 at a much slower pace in FreeBSD.
	I had patches for removing *all* register keywords across
       the FreeBSD base, sys; but they were rejected because
	everyone thought of it as diff churn... oh well...
Yes, because you were doing it as a blanket diff, which would
conflict with everyone else's "works in progress".  The problem
isn't diff-churn in the main repository, it's diff-churn for all
that source which has been checked out (by hundreds of different
developers) for some other reason.  The reason a blanket-change
like this is easier in dragonflyBSD right now is that there are
so few developers which have their own little works-in-progress
checked out from the main source tree.
Still, it is true that *if* someone is working on some section
of code in FreeBSD, then they are encouraged to remove all
register keywords.  Certainly I've been removing them when I
work on something, and if I forget to then someone else reminds
me to remove them.  So, it's happening at a much slower pace in
FreeBSD, but it is something that we want get done.
This is the kind of project which is great for dragonfly tackle
right now, when it will cause almost no disruption.  IMO...
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx