Hammer2 offline deduplication

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Nov 7 06:31:51 PST 2019

Are you looking for how it works technically, or how to operate it?
The design document goes into the technical details of how it's set
up:

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/sys/vfs/hammer2/DESIGN

The design notes mention that, like you say, online dedup is on by
default.  There's no utility to run it offline yet, though I don't
know how much of a difference that makes in practice; online dedup may
already do most of the work.   I'd be interested in statistics on
that.