Extended attributes in Hammer2

gugol at gmx.com gugol at gmx.com
Tue Feb 12 15:28:47 PST 2019

> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM
> From: "Matthew Dillon" <dillon at backplane.com>
> To: gugol at gmx.com
> Cc: hammer at dragonflybsd.org
> Subject: Re: Extended attributes in Hammer2
>
> Not currently. It is something that can be added but there's no timeline
> for it.
>
> -Matt

Thanks for your reply, Matt.
I am a little disappointed because I expected Hammer2 to be roughly on a par with Btrfs and ZFS feature-wise. At least this is the way Hammer2 has been described in several online articles. Hence my disappointment that such an otherwise terrific filesystem lacks support for extended attributes, which are a common feature of modern filesystems. Of course, Hammer2 still shines in other ways, and after reading up on it I must say I was really impressed by this filesystem. In fact I was seriously considering adopting it as my workhorse filesystem, and I was about to give it a try. But alas the lack of support for extended attributes is quite a deal breaker for me :(
I really hope you will implement this feature in a future version, the sooner the better. Please also consider that many other users would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jack