Request: Xfering new kernel to target machine

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon May 12 00:31:48 PDT 2008

:Is there documentation to transfer a custom built kernel
:from a (fast) compile machine to a target machine without
:running 'make installkernel' on the compile machine?
:Just transferring the intermediate files and then running
:the installkernel on the target machine?  Thanks.

    What I would do is 'make installkernel DESTDIR=somewhere', and
    then copy that somewhere to the slow machine.

    It might be possible to mount the fast's machines /usr/obj onto the
    slow machine and then make installkernel on the slow machine, but I
    haven't tried doing that in a while.  The /usr/src and /usr/obj paths
    have to match exactly between the slow and fast boxes for it to work.

					<dillon at backplane.com>