wiki main page fubard

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu May 5 16:23:00 PDT 2005

kevin wrote:

Not sure if this option could be of use, but maybe:
http://www.linux-tutorial.info/. On the right side, there is a login section
that has the "Security Code:" picture and box to verify. I have seen more
advanced pictures (almost too much so, to the point that it's hard to figure
out what character it is), but this is the first one that came to mind.
This is called CAPTCHA test (see http://www.captcha.net). Unfortunately
there is no such thing for the software driving our Wiki (WikiMedia)
yet. Also, at least one of the recent spammers (Ogurap) didn't seem to
be a script for he did a second change shortly after putting in the spam
(at least it looks like manual intervention):

http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.php?title=DragonFly_Handbook/x-fonts&action=history

I've talked to Todd Willey about Wiki spam and decided that removing it
manually is probably the easiest solution at the moment (given the low
frequency in which it occurs).

Then again, I'm thinking about experimenting with automatic changes
(i.e. a Wiki bot) in the future. Maybe I can come up with some way to
automatically look for spam patterns. Like, if someone replaces a page
with something completely different, assume it's spam and auto-revert
that change.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx