handbook: cvs or wiki?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Jun 15 12:48:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> The basics chapter had some modifications for the "mount" section. As the
> wiki diff output is a little unclear (for example
> http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.php?title=DragonFly_Handbook/mount-unmount&curid=865&diff=1342&oldid=1341),
> I was not able to quickly see or understand all the changes.
>
> I looked again with a different browser and see it was just color coding
> that showed differences -- one mispelling fix.
>
> Then I notice that the wiki says it is the "Handbook", but in CVS is the
> "usersguide" (en/books/usersguide/book.sgml).

I was confused about that. Now I see that
DragonFly_Handbook/mount-unmount wiki page is some modification of
en/books/handbook/basics/chapter.sgml but I don't see in the wiki where it
was introduced.

Making a diff of this SGML and the wiki is not immediate. I guess someone
could export both to plain text and fmt the same and then diff -u. And
then add the new lines and write new docbook tags as needed.

> What is the plan for the usersguide? Should this be merged into the
> handbook? For example, maybe en/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml and
> en/books/usersguide/ports/chapter.sgml could be merged?
>
> > > I'd like to suggest that the wiki for the handbook be removed and then
> > > generate the HTML from the docbook source with a feedback form on every
> > > single handbook webpage.  Then someone can share their comments and
> > > improvements easily.
> > >
> > > A committer would have to review and commit, but that is a lot easier than
> > > merging in changes later.
> >
> > Any objections to this from other docs@ readers?  I like the idea of the
> > wiki, but I'm not seeing a huge benefit from it.  It may be better to
> > retry it someday when we do have a method for moving wiki -> docbook and
> > back.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/