cdinstall-doc

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Feb 24 13:18:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:38:12 +0100
"R. E. Ceiver" <lists at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i've written a first version of a short cdinstall-doc in html. since
> my webserver is down at the moment, i'm going to post it here. any
> suggestions/criticisms are welcome.
> the aft-scripts are a pretty lightweight way to create html-docs, so i
>
> wrote an own format-file with styles similar to the dfly-homepage.
> i will extend that document as soon as i get a live cd that supports
> my pcmcia-nic. the one i burnt in beginning of february doesn't.
> anyway, tell me what you think about it.
>
> thanks
> markus

Not bad.  I've only skimmed it as of yet, but two things come to mind:

It would be nice to sync this with the README on the CD.  Maybe if there
was a single source that could generate both an HTML version and a plain
text version.  But I suppose I should let the doc infrastructure project
worry about how to do that (last I heard they were heading for XML and
XSLT I think?)

Also, in the Afterboot section, it would be good to mention how to set
up your time zone (with tzsetup.)  This bit me a few days ago as there
is at least one program in ports that really, really does not expect
whatever DST-related syscall it is to return -1... it thought it was the
last day of 1969 :)

-Chris