Wiki-fying docs

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Wed Dec 1 12:16:08 PST 2004

Stu wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:02:50 +0000, Hiten Pandya <hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

I've noticed that there's been a number of people who have wanted to
contribute to docs, but the process of installing the doc-proj port and
all its dependencies, plus talking SGML, plus building it, is forming a
sort of barrier to entry.  I think I'm the only poor soul that's done it.
I was thinking we could copy the existing docs into a Wiki, and see how
contributions change from there.  Mashing wiki changes back into CVS may
be less laborious than putting other people through the docproj wringer.
Can anyone think of any objections?
	Let's not use Wiki for professional project documentation.

	Sure, use it as a staging area, but not for the final thing.

		-Hiten

Id help if it used wiki, but not if I had to docbook.
(for the life of me, I couldnt get jade/sgml/docbook etc
installed/working under fbsd4. there was always something..)
	I understand people want to contribute, but just because
	one is not ready to go through the hurdle of groking SGML/XML
	shall we abandon the system.  That's not how it should be
	answered.
	To summarise and end this thread, I would conclude that using
	something like a DragonFly MediaWiki would be a good place for
	staging the documentation, and then "by-hand" people can
	merge changes into the SGML version of the documentation.
	We would also need to make it clear on the MediaWiki site that
	any contributions made to do the Wiki-version of the docs will
	be covered by the DragonFly's BSD license.
		-Hiten